America's Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids
Launched in February 2010 by First Lady Michelle Obama, the Let's Move! campaign aims at solving the problem of childhood obesity. With the support of President Barack Obama, a Task Force on Childhood Obesity was created with a goal of returning the level of obesity in children to under 5% by 2030. Four key areas have been identified as primary focuses:
- Help parents make healthy family choices
- Provide healthier food in schools
- Make healthy, affordable food accessible
- Encourage our kids to be more physically active
Gopher Promotes Activity
We strive to help children live more active and healthier lives through physical education, recreation, and sports.
Physical activity is essential to a healthy lifestyle. The Let's Move! campaign encourages children to have several opportunities to be active year round. The following are strategies you can take to promote an active lifestyle:
- Activity in the Classroom
- Developed by author and educator Dr. Robert Pangrazi, the Active & Healthy Schools™ Program shows you how to increase activity levels and improve the eating habits of your students through simple changes to the whole-school environment. You'll learn innovative and simple solutions you can make to encourage students to be physical active and make healthy nutrition choices.
- Collection of Valid and Reliable Data
- Strong physical education programs should engage students in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 50% of class time. Gopher FITstep Pedometers track frequency, intensity, and time for a reliable picture of physical activity levels.
- Community Parks and Playgrounds
- Gopher Active Outdoor Systems contains products carefully selected to maximize both play value and physical benefit within playgrounds, parks, and other outdoor environments.
- Environmental Education Programs
- Gopher's Outdoor Education products provide students with experiences and skills that will last a lifetime. Camping, canoeing, hiking, and geocaching are all great fun and great exercise in the great outdoors.
- Expanded After-school Activities
- After-school programs offer schools an opportunity to collaborate with community partners to provide physical activity programming. Gopher offers Before and After School Packs with equipment to engage up to 200 students!
Let's Move: America's Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids
Let's Move! has an ambitious but important goal: to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation.
National Association for Sport and Physical Education: Let's Move in School
Educate youth about all of the benefits of a physically active lifestyle and ensure that every school provides opportunities for quality physical education and activity.
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Healthy Schools - Healthy Youth
CDC: Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (PECAT)
This tool will help school districts conduct an analysis of written physical education curricula.
USA Today: Physical activity can boost student performance
Going to PE class and recess can be a win-win situation for students.
White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity: Report to the President
Download the PDF