Health education book provides information needed to develop, teach, and assess a health education program to make students health-literate individuals. Includes real-world examples and practical strategies to introduce students top the skills needed to maintain or improve health.
Emphasize Skill-Based Learning
This book emphasizes a critical approach to instilling personal health and wellness values in students, aligning them with National Health Education Standards. It offers teachers practical strategies for curriculum design and program development through a skill-based approach. Real-world examples, concept summaries, key points, and review questions aid students while processing and retaining core concepts.
Includes a test bank, presentation package, web resource, and instructor guide.
Essentials of Teaching Health Education Book spans 320 pages, broken into 5 sections and 18 total chapters.
How to Access the Web Resource
Introduction: Connections to 21st-Century Skills
Part I: Building the Foundation of a Skills-Based Approach
- Chapter 1. Developing Health-Literate Individuals
- Chapter 2. Understanding a Skills-Based Approach
- Chapter 3. Examining Student Motivation
Part II: Teaching to the National Health Education Standards
- Chapter 4. Accessing Valid and Reliable Information, Products, and Services
- Chapter 5. Analyzing Influences
- Chapter 6. Interpersonal Communication
- Chapter 7. Decision Making
- Chapter 8. Goal Setting
- Chapter 9. Self-Management
- Chapter 10. Advocacy
Part III: Developing Curricula and Assessments
- Chapter 11. Using Data to Inform Curriculum Planning
- Chapter 12. Eight Steps for Curriculum Development
- Chapter 13. Designing Meaningful Assessments
Part IV: Strategies for Effective Instruction
- Chapter 14. Creating a Positive Learning Environment
- Chapter 15. Implementing a Skills-Based Approach
- Chapter 16. Meeting the Unique Needs of Elementary Health Education
Part V: Beyond the Classroom
- Chapter 17. Professional Development and Advocacy
- Chapter 18. Making Cross-Curriculum Connections
About the Authors