Help high school students understand and appreciate the importance of personal fitness, while also learning the skills needed to develop lifelong habits that promote wellness. From moving correctly to exercising appropriately, students will discover how each element of their lifestyle plays into their wellness.
Understanding Core Health Concepts
Incorporating nationally-recognized standards for fitness and physical wellness by SHAPE America, this book teaches high school students about fitness for life. The book is specifically written for high school students as they prepare to move on from school to college, the armed forces, or into the workforce.
By the end of the book, students will understand how activity and actions affect wellness. They will also learn how to make decisions about activities that positively impact their quality of life. Everything needed for self-assessments—including tests within the Presidential Youth Fitness Program and other programs—is available within the text. Students can develop personal goals and plan a exercise program based on their individual needs, giving them ample opportunity to apply concepts learned in each unit.
Meet Superior Standards
Each unit of this book is designed with wellness in mind. In addition to SHAPE America guidelines, information also conforms to national physical activity guidelines of the USDHHS, exercise prescription guidelines of ACSM, and health goals of Healthy People 2020.
This book is split into 7 units, each covering 3 core concepts of the overhanging unit focus. A Set of 2 CDs is also available separately.
- Unit I. Building a Foundation
- Chapter 1. Fitness, Health, and Wellness for All
- Chapter 2. Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle and Self-Management Skills
- Chapter 3. Goal Setting and Program Planning
- Unit II. Becoming and Staying Physically Active
- Chapter 4. Getting Started in Physical Activity
- Chapter 5. How Much Is Enough?
- Chapter 6. Skill Learning and Injury Prevention
- Unit III. Moderate and Vigorous Physical Activity
- Chapter 7. Moderate Physical Activity
- Chapter 8. Cardiorespiratory Endurance
- Chapter 9. Vigorous Physical Activity
- Unit IV. Muscle Fitness and Flexibility
- Chapter 10. Muscle Fitness Basics
- Chapter 11. Muscle Fitness Applications
- Chapter 12. Flexibility
- Unit V. Healthy Choices
- Chapter 13. Body Composition
- Chapter 14. Physical Activity Program Planning
- Chapter 15. Making Good Consumer Choices
- Unit VI. Wellness Perspective
- Chapter 16. Choosing Nutritious Food
- Chapter 17. Stress Management
- Chapter 18. Making Choices and Planning for Health and Wellness
- Unit VII. Moving Through Life
- Chapter 19. Strategies for Active Living
- Chapter 20. The Science of Active Living
- Chapter 21. Lifelong Activity